Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drill charger diagnostics

On Saturday, 18 May 2019 11:44:50 UTC+1, D.M. Procida wrote:
I have an old B&D cordless drill; the batteries don't charge.

Either the batteries or the charger are faulty.

I've opened up the charger. At the input of the transformer, I measure
240V. At the output, 0V (I'd expect 18V or so).

I assume this means that the transformer itself is broken - at least, I
can't think that anything in the circuit after the transformer could be
responsible.

I haven't desoldered the transformer from the circuit board, but I guess
that would be a way of being sure.

Is that correct?

Daniele

The transformer is generally the least likely item to fail, but it looks like it has. Measure the resistance of the secondary winding to be sure (with power disconnected)

NT