Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drill charger diagnostics

In article
,
D.M. Procida wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article
,
D.M. Procida wrote:
I have an old B&D cordless drill; the batteries don't charge.

Either the batteries or the charger are faulty.

I've opened up the charger. At the input of the transformer, I
measure 240V. At the output, 0V (I'd expect 18V or so).

I assume this means that the transformer itself is broken - at
least, I can't think that anything in the circuit after the
transformer could be responsible.

I haven't desoldered the transformer from the circuit board, but I
guess that would be a way of being sure.

Is that correct?

No LEDs, etc to tell you what is going on?

The LEDs (charging, fully-charged) are both off. There is no voltage at
the charger's output, which is why I opened it up to find out if I could
where the fault is.

Right. Must be pretty old if it has an actual transformer, rather than a
SMPS. But a short etc after the transformer could have caused it to burn
out.

Difficult to know without seeing it how easy it would be to replace the
transformer. You could trawl through Ebay or CPS etc for spares - but
you'd likely pay less for a complete used charger than a new transformer,
even if you can find an exact one. And if it's old the battery likely well
past its best.

--
*Great groups from little icons grow *

Dave Plowman London SW