Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Two simple questions that came up when mounting tires at home

On Sat, 18 May 2019 01:45:17 -0000 (UTC), "Arlen G. Holder"
wrote:

On Fri, 17 May 2019 14:34:20 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 wrote:

BTW, how can one not like one of those jobs if
they haven't done them?

There are people who like to learn and there are people who don't.
o And that's OK.

For example, here's a picture of 3 of my chucks - do you have any advice
for how to repair the oldest one, the one at the left, which, I _thought_
was simply missing a rubber grommet - but which seems to be missing a
spring (although, I've never taken it apart)?
https://i.postimg.cc/nVPJC1Sy/valve11.jpg

Only the brand new chuck, in the middle, has an actual spring.

Can you post a picture of the insides of your chucks, so we can compare?

The spring from the old one is inside 1 or more tires, most likely.
The moisture in the airline rusted the spring away. Used to be, back
when those chucks cast an hour or more's wages, you could buy rebuild
kits for them. Now it's cheaper to replace with another chicrap chuck
than to rebuild.