Posted to alt.home.repair
Arlen G. Holder Arlen G. Holder is offline

Default Two simple questions that came up when mounting tires at home

On Fri, 17 May 2019 13:34:18 -0400, Clare Snyder wrote:

The standard valve seats tightli in the hole, against the inner rim
surface, and against the outer rim surface. The high pressure stem
would "float" in the hole. It MAY not leak - but I sure wouldn't bet
on it!!

Hi Clare,
Thanks for that advice that the "shorter" (in height) the inevitable rubber
grommet in the bolt-in type, the less change there might be of leakage.

I haven't mentioned this until now, but as an experiment, on the last set
of tires I mounted & balanced at home, I temporarily switched grommets from
the 0.453" to the 0.625" size to visually see what the difference might be.
https://i.postimg.cc/4xjQV43s/valve06.jpg

It's hard to tell from that crappy picture, but the larger grommet clearly
bulged outward, looking from the inside of the rim as that picture shows.

The end result, after match mounting, & during balancing, looks like this:
https://i.postimg.cc/gjv3V3nW/valve09.jpg

You overthink EVERYTHING. If the high pressure stem was "the right
one" for standard rims why the 7734 would they make 2 different stems
- particularly when they sell for the same price????

Hi Clare,
What you're saying is to _assume_ the answer, which is fine, but where the
spec is what I go by in almost all cases, where, unfortunately, only the
MAXIMUM spec was written on the package.

Bearing in mind that the package I usually get has _both_ the 0.453" and
0.625" grommets, clearly _some_ of those valve stems are designed to fit
both sized holes.

Of course, there's NOTHING on the package itself that says what the MINIMUM
spec is, so, clearly, it has to be _assumed_ where I generally hate
assuming things because of the natural tendency to assume whatever you
_want_ the outcome to be.

BTW, at the store, I only had two choices:
1. Snap in - mostly rubber, or,
2. Snap in - mostly brass.
https://i.postimg.cc/brH3z70k/valve10.jpg

Of _those_ two, which would you prefer?
(I like the all brass bolt-in type - but they weren't available.)

. Bolt in is a LOT less critical of rim thickness, and I do not
believe they even make the 2 versions.

I'm a bit confused by what you said about not making the two versions since
I clearly use the bolt in 1-1/2" dual 0.453"/0.625 size all the time so I
am not sure what two versions you speak about.

I guess what you're implying is there is no "snap in" version for the
thicker rims, which, if that's what you're saying , that makes sense.

As for the bolt in versus the snap in, thanks for your advice that the bolt
in is less critical of rim widths.

I don't know why for sure, but I like the bolt-in types, but, I would
assume the snap-in types "might" be more flexible when rubbing against
curbs (where I size the length to be below the rim edges so that's less
likely to happen unless it's an odd-sized rock outcrop - which we do get
here in the mountains - but it's not often that a wheel rubs against them).
https://i.postimg.cc/ZqBZsHZ6/valve07.jpg

I use a straightedge as shown below to check that the valve is below
flush, where I like the valve to be as long as possible, but below flush:
https://i.postimg.cc/mDsq3yrL/valve08.jpg

I install the bolt-in ones on my own vehicles. I guess that MAYBEE
says something???

Thanks for stating that you like the bolt-in type, which is the kind I tend
toward myself. Those bolt-in types just "seem" better, where about the only
"difference" I can see offhand is twofold:
a. They may be less flexible if rubbed against than the snap-in types
b. They fit small & large rim holes, where I only need the 0.453" size

I guess a third difference is that, technically, they're removable, but I
can't imagine re-using them except in some kind of dire emergency.