Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Two simple questions that came up when mounting tires at home

On 05/16/2019 10:34 PM, Arlen G. Holder wrote:
On Thu, 16 May 2019 19:59:35 -0600, rbowman wrote:

That's how you take it apart. The spring, plunger, and seal have to get
in there somehow.

Hi rbowman,

slaps head! That makes a LOT of sense!

o Here's what my old chuck looks like, with the slotted "head" taken apart.
https://i.postimg.cc/qRRVJJ9d/valve03.jpg

It's only two pieces (3 in total, including the body).
o I had never noticed that slot before as I've never needed to take it apart.

The last one I took apart was a Harbor Freight dual head that had a few
more pieces. It wasn't curiosity I was trying to get it to work. The
solution was buying a real one from NAPA.

The HF compressor is still functioning although I removed the regulator
after it blew its guts out. The semi-engaged threads in the pot metal
body were not salvageable. The hose and connectors in the accessory pack
are functional.

I did find there are at least two styles of 1/4" male connectors. Of
course, I bought the wrong style.