Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Two simple questions that came up when mounting tires at home

On Fri, 17 May 2019 02:26:00 -0000 (UTC), "Arlen G. Holder"
wrote:

Two minor questions that came up today when I was showing an inquisitive
teen how to mount & balance his own tires for the car he recently got for
free from a neighbor.

1. The teen asked me why this slit in the typical air chuck...
https://i.postimg.cc/43JN7rWw/valve02.jpg

For a tool to tighten the "face" of the chuck - - - - - -

2. The kid asked me what the practical difference was between choosing
between two air valves, one for up to 65 psi and the other up to 80 psi for
a typical 30 to 40psi nominal economy car tire such as his a
https://i.postimg.cc/76Z6cp7b/valve01.jpg

READ!!!!! The "high pressure" valve is required for high pressure
rims which are .205" thick instead of .156".
Engineers - - - - - - - - - - - - -Overthink EVERYTHING and don't
bother reading specs??????

In both cases, I told the kid that I don't know the answers and that I'd
ask folks on this newsgroup who know more than I do about such things, so
I'll point the kid to this thread, when/if reasonable answers ensue.

I did hazard a guess that I suspect the slit in the chuck is perhaps to
"let air out", although I'm not sure why we'd want to do that except, I
guess, if we use the chuck as the air-release mechanism (similar to the
"nib" on the back of a typical pencil-type air pressure gauge).

Not even close, Arlen - not even close.

Likewise, I told him that it doesn't seem to matter all that much which
pressure valve we use for his passenger car tires, AFAIK, where I like the
brass valve, which happens to handle higher pressure, but I didn't see that
it mattered for a passenger car, particularly since they were both
essentially the same price.

The "high pressure" valve is likely to leak in a standardthickness
rim
One happens to be a "bolt in" type while the other is "snap in", but I
didn't see that as a practical difference - do you, and one was slightly
shorter but only because O'Reillys didn't have the same lengths in stock
for the two types.

The specs on the back of the O'Reillys packages a

XtraSeal 15-4600 Tire Valves 1-1/4" HP 0.453" TR600HP
o Max cold inflation pressure is 80 psi
o Rim thickness not to exceed 0.205" (5.2mm)

XtraSeal 15-4142 Tire Valves 1-1/2" HP 0.453" TR414
o Max cold inflation pressure is 65 psi
o Rim thickness not to exceed 0.156" (3.96mm)

Did you even LOOK at what you posted???????? READ IT AGAIN and you
won't need to ask STUPID questions!

Buy the CORRECT parts.