Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New mini lathe damaged in transit

wrote in message
Hey. I recently bought a mini lathe but it arrived with minor damage.
The change gear cover was broken into bits and the plastic gear on the
auto feed screw was also broken in bits. The power box was broken at
the bolt holes so was hanging off.
Instead of sending it back which was a real hassle I contacted the
company and had replacement parts sent as I felt it was just
superficial damage.
After fixing it up and using it a few times I noticed a wobble. I
thought it was runout but looking at the spindle from behind after
taking off the change gear cover I noticed a slight wobble in the
spindle. The gear on the back end of the spindle seems to mesh tighter
with the gear under it at one point in a single revolution.
Now I am thinking that it was dropped during transit obviously but as
the feed screw gear was broken it must have caused a shock up the gear
train and maybe bending the spindle?
Im not 100% sure tho as the bearings seem to move slightly during
revolution also.

Anyone have any recomendations?

https://www.precisebits.com/tutorial...dle_runout.htm
You'll need a dial indicator anyway to center work in a 4-jaw chuck.
I've found expensive high-quality ones second-hand and can't suggest a
source for an adequate new one.