Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Chestnut Update

On 5/14/2019 5:30 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 1:54:49 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

Updates appreciated!

I forget if these were hybrids or grafts onto root stock -- or did you
ever even find out for sure?

As I understood, they are neither grafts nor hybrids. They are suppose to be "authentic American Chestnut". That is what I had searched for and I did call Willis Orchards and ask, specifically, what they were. Here is the list I purchased from, bought 10 of the $19.95 listing.
https://www.willisorchards.com/produ...e#.XNs9mY5KiUk

I'd forgotten you had found a supplier of "the real thing" but now I do
recall. Guess you'll find out in about the same time about escaping the
blight...

During my research about and search for authentic trees, I had contacted the American Chestnut Foundation and got several replies regarding planting, care, etc. Here's an excerpt of one reply from Shana Zimnoch.

Note: There was nothing in the growing guide or in the Foundation's emails about cows. I had flagged the trees with red flagging tape. The cows were attracted to the red tape, even ate some of it. The 5 unaffected trees were planted in another, no cows, area.

It probably wouldn't have made any difference if they weren't flagged --
cows are unalterably curious and will rub on anything no matter how
fragile -- and, as you've observed, delicacy and care for fragile items
is totally missing in their nature. Only stout fencing to keep them
out would have worked.