Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Chestnut Update

On 5/14/2019 1:50 PM, Jack wrote:
On 5/14/2019 9:01 AM, Sonny wrote:
Of the 10 trees planted, 8 are doing well, sprouting leaves, looking
healthy.Â*Â* The two doing poorly (or may be dead) were among 5 that
were trampled by cows.Â*Â* We had replanted the cow-affected ones.

The two poor ones seem to have small leaves sprouting from their
bottoms, but can't tell for sure, as the leaf sprouts are right at or
below the soil surface.... they may be of some other plant.Â*Â* I didn't
dig to see if they are attached to the chestnut stems.Â*Â* The leaf
sprouts look like chestnut, but also resemble other small plants in
the area.Â*Â* These leaf sprouts are too small to be certain of exactly
what they are.Â*Â* We should know better in a month or so, hopefully.

Sonny

I once had a Norway Maple growing at the side of my house, next to the
gas meter.Â* I was about 2' tall, I cut it to the ground.Â* Couple months
later, it was back.Â* Cut it to the ground again.Â* The next year back
again but two stems and bigger leaves.Â* Cut it to the ground again, and
again it came back, thicker stems and unbelievably big leaves. It became
a curiosity, and I kept cutting it to the ground, it kept coming back,
with thicker stems, and giant leaves.Â* I decided it was like a
dandelion, and would never die by cutting it to the ground.Â* It
eventually disappeared, and I'm too old to remember if it died or I
ripped out the roots.Â* This of course only happens if you don't want the
bugger around.Â* If you want a plant, look at it crooked and it falls
over dead in minutes.Â* So, my guess is the little shoots are probably
dandelions.

Yeah! That's what the little shoots are. LOL