Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Chestnut Update

On 5/14/2019 8:01 AM, Sonny wrote:
Of the 10 trees planted, 8 are doing well, sprouting leaves, looking healthy. The two doing poorly (or may be dead) were among 5 that were trampled by cows. We had replanted the cow-affected ones.

The two poor ones seem to have small leaves sprouting from their bottoms, but can't tell for sure, as the leaf sprouts are right at or below the soil surface.... they may be of some other plant. I didn't dig to see if they are attached to the chestnut stems. The leaf sprouts look like chestnut, but also resemble other small plants in the area. These leaf sprouts are too small to be certain of exactly what they are. We should know better in a month or so, hopefully.

Sonny

I have found that a tree that is not going to do well will often sprout
leaves from the roots.