Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Caspersz Adrian Caspersz is offline

Default Iphone compass app

On 14/05/2019 13:38, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have read that the Iphone uses a magnetic compass, which suggests it
would be affected by very local magnetic fields, but putting a magnet
close to my SE doesn't seem to affect it at all. What am I missing?

It's magic [tm]

It's probably doing an AI job on you, and possibly cancelling out your
deliberate field interference when compared with other sources (GPS,
skyhook) of information - which probably has a few vectors valid within
a time window.

Should be able to fool it though. Keep trying, say - turn off the
wireless comms? or sweeping your magnet across slowly.

--
Adrian C