Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Need HALP picking out a new cell phone

In article ,
says...

Biggest cable phone fiasco I ever saw was with Cablevision in the NYC area.
They have wifi hotspots around the area that their cable customers can use.
I never understood the economics of that, like how they can justify the
cost. But then they decided to start selling wifi only cell phones.
Made zero sense to me. It will only work where you have wifi. Sure,
there might be some people who mostly use a phone where there is service,
but even those, you'd think they would want it to work other places too.
And there were other cheapo prepaid phone companies that offered wifi
calling that would work on any cell phone.
So they marketed that thing for about a year, I guess it failed and
AFAIK, it's gone.

Guess that would be a fiasco.

I have been using Republic for a number of years. They try to use a
wifi system first, but if none is in range it goes to the radio towers.

Not bad for about $ 12.50 a month. They advertised it at $ 10, but add
something over $ 2 in tax. I don't think they offer this any more at
that price. If my phone fails, I will probably switch to another
service.

I sort of like it that it goes to wifi first. Usually in a building
they have wifi where the cell towers will not give a signal.

Spectrum has been good for me for internet and the phone over internet.
OUtside of trees falling over the lines about 2 times I have only had an
outage of the internet one time in several years. They got it going by
teh next day or maybe even the sameday. When TWC had the lines I had to
have them out here at least once a year to replace what I was told was a
fuse down the line. Usually took to thenext day . They would send an
inside man and he would have to call the outside man to replace the
fuse.