Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Plinth

On 13/05/2019 10:43, DerbyBorn wrote:
Planning a bathroom conversion - need a 1600 x 700mm shower tray. I need it
raised about 5 inches off a T & G floor. Would rather have a plinth than
legs.
Any recommendation on materials for spacers and for a top surface. I
realise "wood" is a simple answer - but just concerned about long term
shrinkage and distortion. Any particular types I should aim for?

If the wood is properly seasoned prior to installation, then it ought
not shrink any further. I would use pressure treated 4x2 for the basic
framework, with a top layer of 19mm WPB ply, and then if its a stone
resin tray, bed that onto a half inch screed of sand and cement -
probably with a bit of SBR in there as an admixture.

When installing the tray, butter the wall facing sides with silicone,
and rule off the bead cleanly at the top edge of the tray. Then tiling /
boarding - bring those down toward the tray, but leave a 1/4" gap, to
later fill with silicone. Having a wide enough bead ensures it will get
good adhesion, and also will tolerate any small amount of movement.

--
Cheers,

John.