Posted to uk.d-i-y
DerbyBorn[_5_] DerbyBorn[_5_] is offline

Default Plinth

newshound wrote in
o.uk:

On 13/05/2019 10:43, DerbyBorn wrote:
Planning a bathroom conversion - need a 1600 x 700mm shower tray. I
need it raised about 5 inches off a T & G floor. Would rather have a
plinth than legs.
Any recommendation on materials for spacers and for a top surface. I
realise "wood" is a simple answer - but just concerned about long
term shrinkage and distortion. Any particular types I should aim for?

Mine sits on offcuts of flooring joists from an old job, so treated
timber. Having seen how quickly a tiny leak in a sealed space under a
bath resulted in dry rot. For the surface I would use 18 mm shuttering
ply. Think seriously about access to the trap and/or something like a
rodding eye for extracting the stuff that will certainly thrive in the
drain pipe.

---

In over 33 years in the house I have never cleaned the bath trap. Using
gels and liquid soaps means no scum (and the tiles stay shiny)