Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Plinth

I've never quite understood why the excellent idea I saw in a hotel many
years ago is not done. The whole thing was hinged and had easy to detach
hose connections, so cleaning the trap and all that was easy. around the
edge was some stuff like that you get around double glazed windows and doors
if it perishes you shove in a new lot.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 13/05/2019 10:43, DerbyBorn wrote:
Planning a bathroom conversion - need a 1600 x 700mm shower tray. I need
it
raised about 5 inches off a T & G floor. Would rather have a plinth than
legs.
Any recommendation on materials for spacers and for a top surface. I
realise "wood" is a simple answer - but just concerned about long term
shrinkage and distortion. Any particular types I should aim for?

Mine sits on offcuts of flooring joists from an old job, so treated
timber. Having seen how quickly a tiny leak in a sealed space under a bath
resulted in dry rot. For the surface I would use 18 mm shuttering ply.
Think seriously about access to the trap and/or something like a rodding
eye for extracting the stuff that will certainly thrive in the drain pipe.

---