Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Solar panel controller for nominal 5W panel - UnisolarSmartChargeFLX

On Sat, 11 May 2019 07:35:17 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

On Saturday, 11 May 2019 13:26:44 UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google)
wrote:
On Sat, 11 May 2019 13:22:21 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
David formulated on Saturday :

It claims that there is a blocking diode included to prevent reverse
current flow.

No, that simply means it will not discharge a battery, when it is
unable to charge it (in the dark).

Does this mean that I don't require a charge regulator?

You probably wouldn't need a charge regulator to use it to charge a
12v car battery, its output is quite small at 0.30 amps.

For example, if I plug a USB 12V charge adaptor into the supplied
cigar lighter socket should that be all I need to charge a power
bank? Or, for that matter, a mobile phone?

A 12v to USB cigar lighter adaptor will include a 5v regulator.

Thanks.

The remaining question is "Is it safe to feed 16.5V into an adapter?".
I am assuming that it can cope with 14V+ as that is what an alternator
allegedly pushes out, and I assume that this gets as far as the cigar
lighter socket.

Cheers

Dave R

Modern cars disconnect the cig lighter socket when the engine isn't
running, so that won't work. 5w is such a low charge rate that it can be
left on indefinitely, albeit not ideally.

NT

For clarity, I'm not proposing to plug it into a car.
I was using the car cigar lighter socket as a comparison with the solar
panel feeding a directly connected cigar lighter socket.

The solar panel will work a 12V USB charger when fitted into the cigar
lighter option on the output lead from the solar panel.

Testing suggests that about 300mW is the output.
Testing also suggests that this will struggle to keep up with the
discharge rate of a modern mobile phone whilst "doing stuff".
It did give a marginal increase in battery charge to a phone which was
turned off.

On the basis of that testing I won't be carrying it around to act as a
backup charger when away from the mains.

Given that it is around 18 years old, I am reasonably sure that there is
better technology around these days.

Cheers

Dave R

---