Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Need HALP picking out a new cell phone

On Monday, May 13, 2019 at 1:42:09 AM UTC-4, Snuffy wrote:
Howdy doody friends and neighbors, Snuffy hyar....

I have been off (according the shrink)... I mean off the newsgroup for awhile. Looks like it's still going strong - good to see some familiar folks posting.

Anyways........ I am changing cell carriers from AT&T to Spectrum -- strictly due to price. So my question is do any of you have opinions about any of these choices - they are all in the same price range...

Will only mostly used for phone, text & email. Photo 4MPx is good enough. Internet use will be little to none - just info, no video. Also don't care what G is it -- 3, 4, etc... all overkill for my purposes.

LGStylo4 -- $10/mon for the phone for 24 months (or bring own phone $0)
iPhone 6S -- $15/mon
iPhone 7 -- $19/mon

Thankye fellers!

That's all and sign in,

Snuffy
aka Newgene McMensa, LiveBait McKinney, etc.

I would buy a phone online, either at one of the stores or Ebay. If you're
open to used and are OK with a midrange phones there are many to be had on
Ebay. If you're going used, make sure that the phone is clean, ie
not on the black list, and that it's not locked to some carrier. You
can Google for online services where you can check the MSID against
the blacklist for free. Blacklist phones would be ones where it's been
stolen or the customer has unpaid bills, etc. You also
need to make sure that it's compatible with the carrier you're bringing it
to, Spectrum uses Verizon I believe, so any phone that's compatible with
Verizon, not under contract and not locked should work. You can sort them
on Ebay by carrier. I've had two ZTE phones now, very happy with them,
but IDK if they make ones compatible with Verizon. IMO you get more bang
for your buck with an Android than an Apple, so that's probably the
first thing to decide.

If you're not locked into Spectrum already, I'd suggest checking out Mint Mobile.
They are another MVNO that rides on TMobile. Check out the Tmobile coverage
for your area and if it's good, they are an option. It's prepaid, you can
get a plan with unlimited voice and text and 3GB of data for $23 a month,
no contract and if you pay for a year at a time, it's just $15 a month. A plan with
11GB of data is $25 a month. It supports mobile hotspot and if you use
up all the data, it just drops to a lower rate, but still works. I've
had it for a year and a half, very happy. I've had Verizon, Boost/Sprint,
and now Mint and Mint/Tmobile is way better than Sprint and as good here
as Verizon. I think Mint has a trial starter kit for $5 where they send
you a sim with a new number and 100 mins of talk/text, 100MB? data, so
you can try it out. If you check it out and are interested, let me know.
They had a referral program going where if I refer you, you'd get a discount,
maybe $30, not sure of the details. I think they also started selling phones
so you could see what they have too. With any of this, even if you buy
a phone on Ebay, decide the coverage or something isn't right for you,
you can sell it back on Ebay pretty easy.