Posted to uk.d-i-y
George Miles George Miles is offline

Default Rainwater soakaway good or bad for garden?

no its one septic tank shared between 7 homes, the original house divided into 4 plus stables etc converted

On Monday, May 13, 2019 at 12:18:43 PM UTC+1, Jim wrote:
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 13 May 2019 02:24:12 -0700 (PDT), George Miles
wrote:

Yes Jim,
we are diverting the rainwater from the septic tanks.

My question is would a soakaway in the garden help the plants
or dry them out more in drought conditions?

Or put the soakaway outside the garden in the field

[george]

On Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 7:29:40 PM UTC+1, Jim wrote:
"George Miles" wrote in message
Our 7 houses need a new rainwater drain so the roof water doesnt flood
the
septic tank.

rainwater shouldn't go to the septic tank ....

At first I though having a soakaway near my raspberries would add more
water to the plants.

should go to the herringbone outfall from the septic tank ....

So it's one septic tank per house then? In which case, like Jim and I
both said, connect you rainwater discharge directly to the drainage
field of the septic tank, bypassing the tank itself. No need for a
separate soakaway; no need to worry about what will happen to the rest
of the garden; the rainwater will end up where it always did, just not
by way of the septic tank.

yes it will keep the outlet nice and diluted .....