Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plinth

On 13/05/2019 11:28, newshound wrote:
On 13/05/2019 10:43, DerbyBorn wrote:
Planning a bathroom conversion - need a 1600 x 700mm shower tray. I
need it
raised about 5 inches off a T & G floor. Would rather have a plinth than
legs.
Any recommendation on materials for spacers and for a top surface. I
realise "wood" is a simple answer - but just concerned about long term
shrinkage and distortion. Any particular types I should aim for?

Mine sits on offcuts of flooring joists from an old job, so treated
timber. Having seen how quickly a tiny leak in a sealed space under a
bath resulted in dry rot. For the surface I would use 18 mm shuttering
ply. Think seriously about access to the trap and/or something like a
rodding eye for extracting the stuff that will certainly thrive in the
drain pipe.

Many shower wastes have parts that can be pulled out from the top for
cleaning, leaving the pipe opening exposed for cleaning out. Access from
below is only required when fitting, sorting a leak or replacing - which
I hope won't be necessary, but would simply mean that I cut a hole in
the ceiling directly below and then fitted one of the small, plastic,
access hatches or made good and repapered that ceiling.

SteveW