Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Repairing rusty Crittall windows

On 12/05/2019 22:27, wrote:
On 10/05/2019 16:05, Andrew wrote:
On 10/05/2019 09:39,
wrote:
On 09/05/2019 23:32, Michael Chare wrote:
On 09/05/2019 18:06,
wrote:
I've got several of these to do and am planning to tackle it in the
same way I used to tackle car bodywork in the 70s: grind out the
rust, paint with some sort of anti-rust primer, fill with polyester
body filler, sand, prime and top coat.
Is there anyone here who has renovated Crittall windows and has any
advice (other than replace them)?
...or any car body experts who can suggest primers, fillers and
rust eaters?

I have found that I can buy plastic window frames with double glazed
glass made to order to the size I specify. I plan to replace my
Crital frames and wood surrounds.Â* The frames are 7cm thick and have
to be glazed from the inside.

Unfortunately plastic does not look the same, nor does stick-on
leading look the same as real leading. Also, it would be ruinously
expensive to replace the large number of casements in this house.

Though not as ruinously expensive as replacing with new Crittall
windows, though the new ones will at least be double glazed with
thermal breaks and will still have fairly slim profiles.

True, but I have about 80 casements! Most are OK. Some have "a bit of
rust". A few look OK but the glazing is being pushed away from the
casement, so there must be rust. A few are badly rusted and need either
filler or welding. To adapt a well known saying: buy a house in haste
and repent at leisure.

I think 80 is comfortably more than Crittall put in his own country
residence when he built it in the 30s. Can't help wonder if you bought
a house or an office block!

--
Robin