Posted to uk.d-i-y
Marland Marland is offline

Default Solar panel controller for nominal 5W panel - UnisolarSmartChargeFLX

David wrote:
I bought this in 2001 to play at maintenance charging a battery (car, I
think).

I never got very far with it (as far as I can remember) and it has been in
the box for a long time.

https://12volt.com.au/General%20Html.../FLX%20Panels%
20Spec%20Sheet.pdf

seems to be for that model.

It claims that there is a blocking diode included to prevent reverse
current flow.

Does this mean that I don't require a charge regulator?

For example, if I plug a USB 12V charge adaptor into the supplied cigar
lighter socket should that be all I need to charge a power bank? Or, for
that matter, a mobile phone?

I note that the operating voltage is listed as 16.5 volts, which seems a
little high for a battery maintenance charger, so does it need some kind
of voltage regulator in front? If so, what?

I looked up charge regulators and found cheap stuff like
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Controller-...n-Temperature-
Compensation/dp/B01J5A6X92/
and
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intelligent...nt-protection-
regulator/dp/B071ZZ2S84/
which have some interesting reviews.

However these might rely on a 12V battery being present.

Hmmm... V * A = W; A = W/V.
Assuming it is chucking out 16V then power output might be:
A = 5/16 or 1/3 of an Amp charging rate.

Anyway, is there a recommended solution to turn this panel into a solar
charger for small devices?

I'm thinking for camping where there is no mains hookup.

Cheers

Dave R

At only 5w output a good proportion of that will be running the charge
module itself leaving hardly anything over to charge any battery, it will
only be giving 5w in really ideal conditions which will be rare in the UK.

GH