Posted to alt.electronics,at.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Inaccurate clamp meter?

If you are measuring volts then ac is best on a calibrated scope of course,
but I've seen some very strange results from clamp meters in the past, and
after all there are a lot of variables going on all at once.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"alan_m" wrote in message
On 11/05/2019 19:54, Commander Kinsey wrote:

I know the multimeter is accurate, I've tested it on all sorts of things.

The only way you will know that your multimeter is accurate is by having
it calibrated against a known standard, ideally specified to 10x better
than your meter.

At 0.65A a high end Fluke multimeter @ £200+ will give 0.65A +/- 0.01A
on a typical £50 multimeter £50 it will give 0.65A +/-0.09A

Without a specification for what you have purchased, you may have meter
capable of measuring fairly accurately currents in the range 100A to 1000A
but not capable of 0 to 10A measurements with any degree of accuracy

Typically you may be trying to measure and compare a 0.65A current with
measuring equipment with a total uncertainty of measurement of around 0.6A

The 8.5A was measured both with one of those energy efficiency meters on
my house's meter tail, and by knowing what devices were running.

So your comparison standard is something British Gas used to give away for
free, possible so inaccurate that it hasn't got a published specification
for its current measuring capability.