Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Solar panel controller for nominal 5W panel - Unisolar SmartChargeFLX

I'd imagine it would be OK assuming the device does not run hot already, and
most these days do not, it was the old series regulated ones that used to
get hot and hence waste a lot of the heating up the heat sink!

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"David" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 May 2019 13:22:21 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

David formulated on Saturday :
It claims that there is a blocking diode included to prevent reverse
current flow.

No, that simply means it will not discharge a battery, when it is unable
to charge it (in the dark).

Does this mean that I don't require a charge regulator?

You probably wouldn't need a charge regulator to use it to charge a 12v
car battery, its output is quite small at 0.30 amps.

For example, if I plug a USB 12V charge adaptor into the supplied cigar
lighter socket should that be all I need to charge a power bank? Or,
for that matter, a mobile phone?

A 12v to USB cigar lighter adaptor will include a 5v regulator.

Thanks.

The remaining question is "Is it safe to feed 16.5V into an adapter?".
I am assuming that it can cope with 14V+ as that is what an alternator
allegedly pushes out, and I assume that this gets as far as the cigar
lighter socket.

Cheers

Dave R

---