Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Solar panel controller for nominal 5W panel - UnisolarSmartChargeFLX

On Sat, 11 May 2019 13:22:21 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

David formulated on Saturday :
It claims that there is a blocking diode included to prevent reverse
current flow.

No, that simply means it will not discharge a battery, when it is unable
to charge it (in the dark).

Does this mean that I don't require a charge regulator?

You probably wouldn't need a charge regulator to use it to charge a 12v
car battery, its output is quite small at 0.30 amps.

For example, if I plug a USB 12V charge adaptor into the supplied cigar
lighter socket should that be all I need to charge a power bank? Or,
for that matter, a mobile phone?

A 12v to USB cigar lighter adaptor will include a 5v regulator.

Thanks.

The remaining question is "Is it safe to feed 16.5V into an adapter?".
I am assuming that it can cope with 14V+ as that is what an alternator
allegedly pushes out, and I assume that this gets as far as the cigar
lighter socket.

Cheers

Dave R

---