Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Solar panel controller for nominal 5W panel - UnisolarSmartChargeFLX

I bought this in 2001 to play at maintenance charging a battery (car, I
think).

I never got very far with it (as far as I can remember) and it has been in
the box for a long time.

https://12volt.com.au/General%20Html.../FLX%20Panels%
20Spec%20Sheet.pdf

seems to be for that model.

It claims that there is a blocking diode included to prevent reverse
current flow.

Does this mean that I don't require a charge regulator?

For example, if I plug a USB 12V charge adaptor into the supplied cigar
lighter socket should that be all I need to charge a power bank? Or, for
that matter, a mobile phone?

I note that the operating voltage is listed as 16.5 volts, which seems a
little high for a battery maintenance charger, so does it need some kind
of voltage regulator in front? If so, what?

I looked up charge regulators and found cheap stuff like
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Controller-...n-Temperature-
Compensation/dp/B01J5A6X92/
and
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intelligent...nt-protection-
regulator/dp/B071ZZ2S84/
which have some interesting reviews.

However these might rely on a 12V battery being present.

Hmmm... V * A = W; A = W/V.
Assuming it is chucking out 16V then power output might be:
A = 5/16 or 1/3 of an Amp charging rate.

Anyway, is there a recommended solution to turn this panel into a solar
charger for small devices?

I'm thinking for camping where there is no mains hookup.

Cheers

Dave R

---