Posted to uk.d-i-y
Custos Custodum Custos Custodum is offline

Default Using a capacitor as a "wattless" dropper on 110 volt equipment?

On Fri, 10 May 2019 07:31:34 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

I'd agree when these caps go the area tends to fill with very nasty smelling
smoke as well Also as this is for a radio receiver and one hads to think
weak signals, whatever power supply you use needs to be clean. Switch modes
can be clean, but most el cheapo ones are a disaster for rfi.
Some most definitely do not like inductive loads either, I'd still think an
auto transformer hidden away is a good solution myself.
Brian

Especially since an autotransformer can be considerably smaller than
an isolating transformer with the same VA rating.