Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Drying walnut slabs

On 5/8/2019 11:36 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I came into three 8/4 walnut slabs today. Moisture meter reads 30%. How long can i expect it to take to get,to 10% or so if I stick stack them outdoors? I am going to see if there is a local kiln service, but I suspect they may want more than the $1.50/bf I paid for this. Like to work these before I forget why I bought them 😜

Outside, uncontrolled environment they'll probably never get to 10%
unless you're in a very dry climate...average RH would have to be 50%
to come close--and, just air-drying for 8/4 thick stock would take years
-- how many depdendent not only on the 1"/yr thickness rule of thumb but
how long--moisture moves mostly longitudinal...

12% or so is probably what you can expect to get to in a couple-three
years for most places other than AZ desert...