Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Tractor / mower clutch bodge

Does seem a little on the crude side. Some materials can make it snatch and
if it gets at all hot during running it might melt or go sticky.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Lawnflite 703 Autodrive. PTO clutch for deck drive was slipping, so I
decided to have a go at it. I have looked at it before, a mechanically
operated clutch (rather than electrical) and then I found it was simply
metal face, to metal face - no sign of any friction material, but it
worked, so maybe that was how it was designed to work?

I have been unable to find a proper manual for it or any sort of diagram
of the tractor or the clutch, nor even a replacement clutch, though I have
not looked too hard for the latter.

It uses three balls, in deepening slots to engage disengage, with a strong
spring to engage and a light concentric spring to push the plates apart.

Lacking any better idea, I thought to try a bit of thin card to act as
friction material between the two metal plates, but couldn't find any
suitable. What I did find was some material marked Novus Econostus 1.5mm
which has been laying about in my workshop for decades, probably intended
as gasket material of some sort (light browny orange colour), so I cut
some of that into a disk and super glued it to the clutch plate.

Drive to cutting deck now seems to work fine, but for how long? I cannot
see the clutch being under much stress, because it has sort of worked
metal to metal for the past few years.