Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
SMS SMS is offline

Default Just mounted & static balanced my 30th tire in about five years -saving over $400

On 4/29/2019 1:48 AM, Arlen G. Holder wrote:
UPDATE:

Today I mounted & static balanced my 30th tire in about five years, where
each time I do this easy job, I learn new tricks to make it even easier.

snip

Several issues with DIY static balancing.

First, it's static balancing when you really want dynamic balancing for
proper balance at high speeds.

Second, for tread warranty you need proof of tire rotation which you'll
get when you go in for any rebalancing (if necessary)

Third, Costco, where most people buy their tires, often has 1ยข/tire
mounting and balancing offers. I ordered tires during their last sale. I
have an appointment next week. With Costco you can make an appointment,
drop off your car, and by the time you're done shopping the car is ready.

OTOH, I am one of the few people in my city that still does their own
oil changes. As I explained to the spousal unit, who was complaining
that I could spend that time doing something more productive, I can
change the oil in an hour, for $20-25 including an OEM filter and drain
plug gasket. The used oil gets picked up by our garbage service
provider. To take the car into the dealer, driving both ways, and
waiting, would be two hours and cost $35-50 (depending on regular or
synthetic oil and whatever service specials they've mailed out). I don't
trust any of the quick-lube places, the one closest to me was caught in
a sting operation by the Bureau of Automotive Repair, plus they are
about the same price as a dealer and they use low-quality jobber filters.

The newer Toyotas with the cartridge filter are a bit of a pain because
the filter housing is extremely tight. You really need one of the
special cartridge filter wrenches to avoid screwing things up,
https://www.motivxtools.com/collections/oil-filter-wrenches/products/toyota-2-5l-5-7l-oil-filter-wrench?variant=15321139142
https://www.motivxtools.com/collections/oil-filter-wrenches/products/toyota-1-8l-oil-filter-wrench?variant=15323279238