Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Toilet extract fan wiring question

This is as much a "how to do it neatly with minimum junction boxes" as
it is about how the rules apply, but here goes anyway...

We are installing a new toilet cubicle downstairs for my M-I-L who is
finding stairs increasingly difficult. It's in the corner of what is
to become her downstairs bedroom. So far so good! :-)

To avoid chasing new channels in the (very hard) walls I'm using two
Quinetic switches, one for the main bedroom light and the other for
the toilet light which will also run the extract fan.

I have (reasonable but not *easy*, it's in the eaves) access to the
existing 6A MCB protected mains feed for the downstairs lighting above
the bedroom and toilet cubicle.

I'm using a Quinetic 'double' lighting receiver to handle the two
Quinetic switches. The toilet light and fan are a combined unit but
have the usual live/switched live/neutral connections which specifies
that it should be run from a 3A FCU.

So, how do I fulfil the isolation requirement for the fan (among other
things)? The Quinetic receiver has just live, neutral and two
switched live connections.

Opinion genrally seems to be that the 3A protection is rather
pointless when a toilet light/fan is run from a 6A MCB protected
circuit. So, should I just put a 3-pole fan isolator to isolate the
toilet fan/light and leave it at that? I don't really want to put a
3A FCU *before* the Quinetic receiver because it will then switch off
the main bedroom light as well as the toilet.

Where should the isolator be, putting it anywhere in/around the toilet
cubicle or bedroom gets us back into chasing hard walls. I guess a
lockable one in the eaves reachable by opening a small door would be
the 'right' way to do it.

Comments and ideas very welcome.

--
Chris Green