Phöènix

Default Concerns over party wall and chimney breast

I thought this may be a good place to get some response to my concerns over
some work my new neighbour is having done.

I live in an end of terrace. The house next door has been bought recently
and is subject to extensive renovation. I was concerned about some banging
on the party wall and have just come back from looking at what is occurring.

I found that amongst other work the a chimney breast in one room (not my
party wall) has been removed. On further investigation I found that the
young lad (non-english speaking which doesn't help) was attempting something
similar in a room which shares a party wall and stack with my property.

I have brought a temporary stop to the work while awaiting the owner to
contact me.

Anyone been in a similar situation or have sensible advice about the best
way to proceed with this. I have no desire to get off on the wrong foot with
my new neighbour but obviously I can't allow work to continue until I am
sure it is safe, which at the moment I am convinced it is not.

I have taken a quick look at some relevant docs and I would assume this work
comes under both the Party wall act 1996 and also requires building control
authorization.

Comments and advice welcomed.