Posted to alt.electronics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Circles on water damaged monitor?

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 05 May 2019 18:54:50 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news

news On Sat, 04 May 2019 22:35:27 +0100, 2987pl wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news On Sat, 04 May 2019 21:22:06 +0100, 2987pl
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news On Sat, 04 May 2019 01:00:53 +0100, 2987pl
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news On Fri, 03 May 2019 22:22:01 +0100, Mike

I'm interested as to how this happened:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/elnf9fysu2...rcles.JPG?dl=0
Perfectly formed circles, after the monitor got wet (ok, my
cat
"scented" it, which I assume is salty water) - why the
circles?
can't
believe the "water" physically spread that evenly. And I'm
unaware
of
any connection in an LCD monitor activating a circle -
wouldn't
short
out a horizontal band or something?
Dig out your polarized sunglasses and see if you learn
anything.
Might have damaged the front polarizer.

I don't have sunglasses.

Is the polarizer replaceable? I can find a few people selling
the
film
replace it, but I'm not sure how easy it is or if it's worth
the
bother.
A couple of Youtube videos on changing one make it look like a
work
of
art.

It still seems strange I'm getting very accurate circles.
Although
they're gradually expanding, and not always exactly circular.
One
now
looks like a pacman shape, and another has little scrape marks
next
it.

Likely just some quirk of the plastic that produces that
unusual
effect
with
****.

So you don't know then.

When I find out which cat did it, it's in big trouble.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-en...ondon-35363991

Good luck getting everyone registered.

It's the dogs that get registered, stupid.

I rephrase for you, pedant:
"Good luck getting everyone to register their dog."

Don't need to get everyone to register their dog to
be able to work out which dog owner didn't pick up
their dog's turd most of the time.

If I don't register my dog, how can the **** be traced to my dog?

I meant that most will register their dogs and so the **** of most
dogs can be traced by to their owner.

Goody two shoes that register their dogs will already be cleaning up
their
****.

Don't believe that

Either you're a good law abiding citizen or you're not.

Its not that black and white, most obviously with the
fools that hang their bags of dog **** on trees etc.

I see nothing wrong with that,

Yes, you actually are that stupid.

they're preventing someone from treading in it.

But now you can walk right into the turd.

And it doesn't smell inside the bag.

If I blindfolded you, you wouldn't be able
to pick where a turd was on the ground.

and plenty of those fools hang the bag with the dog **** in it on a
tree or something,
even worse than leaving it on the ground.

I guess they think the council will collect them.

Much more likely that they don't want to carry it around.

Well it is ****ing disgusting. Animals should learn to use flush toilets.

Turns out its quite easy to get a cat to do that, but you don't
bother. You let them **** in the neighbours gardens and yours.

It does stop you standing on it.

I only stand on it once a decade or so and even you
should be able to work out how to get if off the
bottom of your shoe if someone was actually silly
enough to lend you a seeing eye dog and a white cane.

I shouldn't have to look at every step I make.

You don't.

And to be fair, some places could do with more bins - how far would you
carry one?

I'm not actually silly enough to collect dog ****
and even you arent actually silly enough to collect
the **** your cats leave in the neighbour's gardens.

So you just leave it for someone to stand in?

No one is stupid enough to stand in it and you
leave you cat **** for someone to stand in.

It's as daft as speedbumps, those that bother slowing down for them
were
already obeying the speed limit.

I don't.

Don't slow down for them or don't obey the speed limit?

Don't obey the speed limit but do slow down for them.

Are you one of those annoying people who slow down and speed up for every
one?

Depends on the bump. The ones down the
main street don't need to slow down much
and we only have one racetrack road which
has a 3 on it and those you don't have to
slow down if you are going at the speed limit.

It does make it easy to overtake though.

Nope, all of ours are on roads with only
one lane in each direction and the main
street is a fully divided road, no overtaking.

They're all too new to show up on our ancient
street view which is now 10 years old.

I did see the google car about 18 months ago but it must
have had a major fault, the new footage never showed up.

Either that or some paranoid person blew it to bits or something.

Speeders like me ignore them and bounce over them.

And get to pay for the repairs to their cars.

Suspension is designed for that.

Wrong.

What do you think it's for?

Normal variations in the road surface.

Even easier for you to work out which of your cats did it
given that even you don't actually have a hundred cats yet.

I use a camera and know what each cat looks like.

But dna is easier to do after the event. Its unlikely that you
will have the cat caught in the act of ****ing on the monitor.

The camera runs continuously and has motion detection, so it doesn't
use
up the memory for a month.

Sure, but you are very unlikely to have the camera
pointing at where that cat chooses to ****.

They tend to choose favourite places.

Unlikely that particular cat did.

Why do you say that?