Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] spuorgelgoog@gowanhill.com is offline

Default Using RCBO as RCD

Running out of space in the consumer unit, and the split-load kits only allow 2 x RCDs.

It occurred to me I could use an RCBO in one of the 'high integrity' ways next to the main switch, and link the load terminal of that to a group of 3 MCBs on their own bit of busbar, instead of using another RCD. RCD and RCBO are about the same price, and I save a module as the RCBO is single width.

I'd have to conjure up another section of neutral bar too.

Any reason why not? CU is BG, and I'd like to keep 3 x 20A heater circuits off the normal RCD and on their own separate section so it's easier to put them on a contactor or timer later if desired. Total load is 9.3 kW before diversity.

I have decided that enlarging the front panel opening to take another couple of ways would be gash, especially as it's flanged. (It would work with the latest flat-fronted metal Fortress design though.)

Owain