Posted to alt.electronics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
2987pl 2987pl is offline

Default Circles on water damaged monitor?

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 04 May 2019 01:00:53 +0100, 2987pl wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 03 May 2019 22:22:01 +0100, Mike wrote:

I'm interested as to how this happened:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/elnf9fysu2...rcles.JPG?dl=0
Perfectly formed circles, after the monitor got wet (ok, my cat
"scented" it, which I assume is salty water) - why the circles? I
can't
believe the "water" physically spread that evenly. And I'm unaware of
any connection in an LCD monitor activating a circle - wouldn't I
short
out a horizontal band or something?
Dig out your polarized sunglasses and see if you learn anything.
Might have damaged the front polarizer.

I don't have sunglasses.

Is the polarizer replaceable? I can find a few people selling the film
replace it, but I'm not sure how easy it is or if it's worth the bother.
A couple of Youtube videos on changing one make it look like a work of
art.

It still seems strange I'm getting very accurate circles. Although
they're gradually expanding, and not always exactly circular. One now
looks like a pacman shape, and another has little scrape marks next to
it.

Likely just some quirk of the plastic that produces that unusual effect
with
****.

When I find out which cat did it, it's in big trouble.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-en...ondon-35363991

I have a video camera I set up for such purposes. Stopped one ****ting in
the shower that way.

I currently have one of the neighbours cats that comes right into my house
most days. Doesn't **** or **** in the house, just has a good hunt around
for something to eat and now doesn't get anything because I make sure
to put any food scraps left over from the evening meal into the bin before
going to bed. Interesting to watch what it gets up to with my arlo movement
sensitive cameras which have a strong magnet on the base so its easy to
stick the cameras in various places with so much steel around the house.

Unusually the bugger showed up during the day last week, managed to
get between me and where it gets into the house and then panicked
when it noticed me. Very healthy looking cat, its clearly not a cat that
has been left behind when one of the renters in a neighbours house
has moved out and left it behind.

Shouting at it gets it to bugger off back the way it came in but
that doesn't stop it coming back another day. Currently toying
with the cat to see what works with that cat and what doesn't.