Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Installation of 3kw instantaneous handwash water heater...

Tim+ wrote:
ARW wrote:
On 04/05/2019 16:56, Jim K.. wrote:
Looking into fitting one of these at the far end of the house
where the run from hot water tank is excessive.

Found a 3kw one that looks ok.

Plumbing shouldn't be a problem.

Elecs - thinking 13a plugs are nono, so a spur to a FCU from a
nearby socket should do? Double pole switch?

Electrically, what do I need to check (& how) before proceeding?
Perhaps make sure the socket I would be spurring from is on a
circuit protected by a 32A breaker?
RCD "required"?

Er... Any other pointers please?

Just the one.

A undersink water heater is a lot better

eg

https://www.screwfix.com/p/3kw-15ltr/2371g

depending on your intended use.

Hmm, we have a long run from our unvented cylinder to our kitchen sink.
Theoretically, could one of these be plumbed to the hot supply, and if so,
what would standby annual running costs be like?

I dont mind paying a bit for more instant hot water in the kitchen, but
not if the insulation is poor and its gonna cost a lot to keep it warm.
(Having said that, it would be easy enough to reduce losses by putting it
on a time switch to run for 8 - 12 hours a day say).

I installed an 'under sink' water heater fed by the hot water supply a
year or so ago. It's one of those "why didn't we do it years ago"
things!

The main reason in our case for feeding it from the hot supply is that
our mains pressure is relatively high and requires all sorts of
silliness for this type of heater. Putting it in the hot feed (low
pressure, gravity from tank in loft) solved all the issues.

I'm thinking of putting another in an upstairs room which also suffers
from "hot water takes ages to get through".

--
Chris Green
·