Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y.elt.electronics
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Circles on water damaged monitor?

On Sat, 04 May 2019 00:11:02 +0100, trader_4 wrote:

On Friday, May 3, 2019 at 3:43:55 PM UTC-4, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I'm interested as to how this happened:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/elnf9fysu2...rcles.JPG?dl=0
Perfectly formed circles, after the monitor got wet (ok, my cat "scented" it, which I assume is salty water) - why the circles? I can't believe the "water" physically spread that evenly. And I'm unaware of any connection in an LCD monitor activating a circle - wouldn't I short out a horizontal band or something?

Very weird, especially how they are such perfect circles. You wouldn't think
urine would even penetrate an LCD screen.

Two of the three circles have centres on the bottom, next to the speaker holes under the screen. That's where it got in, at the edge. One circle though is centred 3/4s of an inch above the bottom - that one's really weird, surely if it ingressed on the bottom edge, it should span out from there, not higher up.

But I guess the bottom line is you're hosed.

It's a 19" 1280*1024 monitor - cheap low resolution rubbish, made by "Digimate" - I was given it free. The only thing it has going for it is it uses about 1/3rd of the power of my 1600*1200 19" Benq monitor. I guess it's an LED backlight, instead of a cold cathode. It's much cooler to the touch.