Posted to alt.electronics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Circles on water damaged monitor?

On Sat, 04 May 2019 00:34:10 +0100, 2987pl wrote:

Bugger, thought the phucker might have hanged himself.

Commander Kinsey wrote

I'm interested as to how this happened:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/elnf9fysu2...rcles.JPG?dl=0

Yeah, me too.

Perfectly formed circles, after the monitor got wet (ok, my cat "scented"
it, which I assume is salty water) - why the circles? I can't believe the
"water" physically spread that evenly.

Yeah, never seen water do that.

And I'm unaware of any connection in an LCD monitor activating a circle

True.

wouldn't I short out a horizontal band or something?

More likely its actually the backlight that's been affected. Not sure how
they are wired, but I still can't see how there could be anything circular.

The circles are gradually expanding, and mostly perfect circles. I would have expected anything peeling off or water oozing along and killing pixels not to be perfectly circular like that.

If they get too big, I'll send the monitor to you to take apart for interest, if you pay the international shipping fee.