Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Are Metal Halide lamps dangerous?

On Fri, 3 May 2019 13:05:02 -0700, Paul Drahn
wrote:

On 5/3/2019 5:17 AM, Bob LaFrance wrote:
I retrieved some nice 1kW High Bay lamps from Dump. I am going to retrofit them with LEDs for my shop. I am a little nervous about removing the metal halide lamps. It seems the first one had become a little loose form it's socket. I am wondering if the bulb is fractured when I try to remove if it will explode.

I post this here because there is a lot of general knowledge between you all.

regards,
Bob

They are two bulbs in one envelope. The two are necessary to filter the
UV from the mercury vapor arc. We have had the inner bulb fracture but
the lamp still works. If you don't mind mercury, just wrap in a blanket
and hit with a hammer.

Pau

Or just wrap a towel around it and see if you can get it out without
breaking. The mercury is in the inner envelope which GENERALLY is
pretty robust. Other than the mercury and sharp glass they are pretty
harmless.