Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

Default Wire-brushing a shed - tool for the job?

On 03/05/2019 17:27, Another John wrote:
Hi all

I'm going to be re-painting a large garden shed for the chap for whom I
do a bit of gardening. (It's actually a summer-house-type thing, with
double, windowed doors.)

I need to strip all the loose stuff that's accrued (or peeled away) in
the c.10 years since it was erected. Then I will re-paint it with a
shed-paint of his choice. I don't need to strip the wood: tidying it
up for a new coat will do.

I used a pressure washer to clean and strip old paint from a shed. Need
to choose a dry spell and give it time to dry out, but it won't end up
any more damp than it would after a wet winter.

(I'm hoping he chooses something like fence paint, that soaks in, and
not the crappy stuff that looks terrific (and glossy) when painted on
bare wood, then proceeds to corrode over the years, leaving large areas
adhering firmly to the wood, and large patches peeling away.)

Best stuff is Osmo Country Colour, but it is expensive and the colour
range limited.

SO: what's the best tool to get rid of the loose stuff? I'm out of
touch with jobs like this. I have various wire brushes (drill
attachments), or I could get a rotary sander, maybe.

I actually have one o'they Multitools, with a sander attachment, but I
tried that and the bloody noise it makes is insufferable. Plus, it's
slow work, on a 3mx4m shed.

The shed's in the middle of a large garden, so dust (except over me
myself) isn't an issue.

All advice gratefully received!

John

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.