Cina

Default Contacting contractor to buy our house? (Long)

houseslave wrote:

If you sell to the contractor you will be selling it wholesale. Why not fix
it up yourself (with the help of contractors) and pocket the extra money.
At the least I would up the house up for sale in the newspaper and see what
happens. I know lots of people who priced their house to sell and sold it
in one or two weekends. Not much fuss considering you will be making
thousands extra over selling it this contractor.

Honestly, we're sick of this house. We've been (slowly) working on it
for about 8 years, and have sunk an obscene amount of time and money
into it. We're completely tapped out in the money department, and the
whole working-on-the-house-every-weekend thing is grinding us down
mentally and emotionally. We can't afford to hire contractors.

As for the extra money to be made... as long as we get something in the
$310-320K range, we'd be happy. We're far more interested in moving out
now than staying a few more months fixing the house, even if it means
more money to stay. (I hate this area... too crowded for me, too much
traffic, malls everywhere. If I don't move back to a rural environment
soon, I'll go insane.)

If the contractor decides he's not interested, we may go the FSBO
route. If it comes to that, I'm sure I'll be back here asking for more
advice.

Thanks!

Cina