Cina

Default Contacting contractor to buy our house? (Long)

jim wrote:

looks the location and the land is what they were selling(especially
when you say they tore the old house down)....in my area the large lots
on some of these places are in old parts of town... very small houses
and a couple of acres... now all the people with money who can afford a
nice place want this area and they are buying those smaller/older homes
to get the land and demolish it and put up a nice big two story mini
mansion on the larger lots...

This happens a lot in a few towns in my area, as well. Just a few miles
closer toward Boston, and there's houses selling for $800K+ only to be
knocked down. I've heard a few house-selling stories from friends, and
it always astounds me.

call up a local realestate agent and see
if you can get any idea of what your place will be worth(remember its
the land they are after).... dont tell them about what the contractor
told you or such...... see if they can even get a higher price.......

Good idea! I know which agent was involved with the neighboring house;
perhaps I'll give her a call and see what she says. I wonder, though...
if we go through an agent for something like this, would they charge
their usual fees?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Cina