Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default To tank or not to tank

On 02/05/2019 10:45, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

I am fitting a shower at the weekend in a new bathroom. There is a shower tray and one side the wall is an external plastered/ rendered and the other is a stud wall with hardieback boards on it. Both walls will be tiled.

When we have done this before I have masticed the tray to the wall, sealed it from above and then tiles on top and finally sealing the gap between the tiles and the tray. For the tiling used waterproof adhesive and grout.

Someone has told us we should really "tank" it but TBH not sure what this means in this context and indeed whether this is needed / better than my usual approach.

Thought I would ask the collective here for their views.

Thanks

Lee.

Personally, my preference for showers is Mermaid or similar melamine
faced plywood bonded with thermosetting resin. I don't question that
tiling can last a long time if done really well, and where no cracks
open up over time owing to movement.

If the shower tray does not have an upstand that the tiles go over, I
would use that L-shaped strip that seals on to the tray so that the
tiles do go over an upstand, if you see what I mean. You still have a
potential leak site at the bevel, so bed and seal that bit well.

At least with not tiling direct on to plasterboard you don't have the
most common cause of tiling failure.