Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default To tank or not to tank

On 02/05/2019 10:45, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

I am fitting a shower at the weekend in a new bathroom. There is a shower tray and one side the wall is an external plastered/ rendered and the other is a stud wall with hardieback boards on it. Both walls will be tiled.

When we have done this before I have masticed the tray to the wall, sealed it from above and then tiles on top and finally sealing the gap between the tiles and the tray. For the tiling used waterproof adhesive and grout.

Someone has told us we should really "tank" it but TBH not sure what this means in this context and indeed whether this is needed / better than my usual approach.

Thought I would ask the collective here for their views.

Entirely uneccessary.

I have done exactly the same as you. Sealed tray to wall with flexible
silicone, tiled over raw plasterboard and used a decent grout.

Provided it is all rigid and you dont allow pools of water to accumulate
all fine after 16 years

Thanks

Lee.

--
The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
its been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.

Anon.