Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Question re loft water tank, plumbing

On Thu, 2 May 2019 06:33:32 +1000, 2987pl wrote:

The removal of the tank and its supply can only make your system

more
reliable.

Only until the water supply is interupted by maintenance (you or the
water co) or another utility putting a JCB bucket through the pipes.
Then you have the problem of the muddy water getting into your system
when it comes back on. I've managed to arrange things so that after
the rising main stop cock all but one tap can be isolated from the
rising main.

However I've just had to turn the water off and its very handy to
still have the toilet flush refill and a basin to wash my hands.

Yep.

Also useful if your water is cut off even temporarily. That cold

water
boiled is safe to use for anything.

Until fairly recently *all* our water went through loft tanks, no
special precautions. Never a problem with jippy tum and that includes
the period after we moved in and before I cleaned the tanks out of
various dead insects and mouse and fitted proper covers.

Of course with all our water going through the tanks (150 gallons) it
wasn't hanging around for long and fresh mains chlorinated water was
constantly replenishing them. I shall maintain some stored water
here, maybe only 50 gallons but will ensure that tank feeds things
that are use a reasonable volume of water most of the time, like a
commonly used loo or two.

Not necessarily when its only brought to the boil and used immediately..

The cryptosporidium parasite needs 10 mins fast boil to be sure. Have
had to do that for two or three weeks when it was found in a borehole
supplying our water down in St Albans. ISTR that the water co sent
cheques for £10 or £20 to pay for the extra energy used.

--
Cheers
Dave.