Posted to uk.d-i-y
Marland Marland is offline

Default Realistic claims for solar pv

John Rumm wrote:
On 30/04/2019 15:01, Tim Lamb wrote:

May to October only luckily. Last I heard, he has not yet bought the
cattle!

Looking at physical size... roughly 1.6x1.0m bit big to wave about on a
single scaffold pole.

If you only need summer, then a quarter sized panel would likely do it
based on those figures.

I use a 40w panel to run a Oase Solar 700 pond pump, both are now around 10
years old.
On full chat according to the makers figures it will shift 700L an hour
using 8watts but that would be max 2m head .
From about now to the September in conjunction with an 80 amp hour leisure
battery it ran the water feature for quite a few hours a day and some pond
lights till about 11pm till a time switch turned them off but there wasnt
much reserve if there were some cloudy or rainy days.
Later I installed a relay coupled to one of those tiny battery charging
panels so when the conditions allowed for some solar generation it closed
the circuit from the pump to the battery .That stopped the pump flattening
the battery, the solar charge controller would have switched it off
eventually it I didnt want it to go that low.
From about October to May the charge controller took more power than was
being generated so
the system got mothballed for the winter.
If I was doing it again I would definitely go for a larger panel as they
are much cheaper relatively than when I purchased mine.
As it I have since got mains to that area of the garden and the battery
failed a while back so I have removed the charge controller and battery and
the panel is now connected directly to pump.
Sun comes out , Water feature runs.

There are quite a few solar pond pumps systems advertised , the Oase pump
one was quite expensive 10 years ago and many of the complete systems
advertised now are a lot cheaper. I suspect I could pee more than most of
them.
For reliability and to work it will not be cheap.

GH