half_pint

Default Replacement picture tube out of warranty?

Bob Brenchley. wrote:
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 02:58:32 -0000, "half_pint"
wrote:

"James Sweet" wrote in message

Why all the argument? The reason behind widescreen is irrelevant,
the fact is that it's the format of the future, virtually every
movie in existance was filmed in something closer to 16:9 than
4:3.

Actually 35mm film is 36mmx24mm - 3:2. Most early films were shot
on that format....

Which is almost exactly in the middle between 4:3 and 16:9, my
interpretation of that is that for older fims it's a tossup, for
newer films 16:9 is the clear winner, looks like a point scored for
WS.

Perhaps my view on this subject is also due to the fact that I
can't think of anything worth watching on TV aside from movies and
a very occasional show on the history channel, if 95% of the TV's
use is for wide material then it would make sense to go with a wide
set should I ever get a newer one than I have.

Nature chose a circular image for human visual perception, do you
think your cinema proprietor knows better.

Well, better than you anyway - at least he knows that humans have a
wide angle view on the world which widescreen comes closer to than 4:3
TV.

That garbage, the human field of active 20/20 vision is very narrow
about 20 degrees IIRC. It is *not possible* to watch a film using
*peripheral vision*.
Please read up on how human vision works (but not on a site
designed for 5 year old children), before contributing more misleading
and inaccurate garbage.

I think he is more influenced by the the economics of audiance
seating, a wide
seating area allows him more 'bums' (pun intended) per unit volume,
hence greater profits.

Rubbish.

Fact

With a taller screen you cannot seat people in vertical
space
required to show the film.

Why not?

Because anyone below then has their vision obscured, a high and
distant 'upper circle' is the best that can be managed, with abour
10% of the seating capacity below.

Economics not "how the director intended" ( thats so pretentious
phrase)

--
regards half_pint