Posted to alt.home.repair
Wade Garrett Wade Garrett is offline

Default roofing products

On 4/28/19 7:34 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 15:43:26 -0400, Clare Snyder wrote:

On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 04:06:09 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 01:24:06 -0400, Clare Snyder wrote:

Anyone here have any experience with CertainTeed Northgate shingles?
The SBS modified asphault seams to be VERY flexible and compared to
GAF Timberlines are heavier and thicker and a LOT harder to tear. When
I bent the GAF (and also an IKO) the grit came off and the backing
cracked - the NorthGate bent with no cracking and no grit loss.

I was realling considering putting on steel - but at 13000-14000 for
the steel, 7000 for the Northgate looks pretty good - both with 50
year non pro-rated full replacement warranty . The GAF or IKO (or
Certainteed Landmark) Roof would run about 6000 with 30 year
"dissapearing ink" warranty.

IMO I'd go with a product that been on roofs for 30 years. That Certain Teed problem
didn't show for many years after installation. Do the Northgates have a long track record
The roofer I hired to put GAF Timberline on my hip-roof house and garage in 2001 used
Certain Teed caps on all ridges.
I didn't even notice until 9 years later, and by 11 years they were looking bad enough that
I had them replaced with GAF Timberline caps. Cost me $900.
The GAF Timberline shingles still look new, and very little grit has shown up in my
gutters.

My timberlines are 13 years old and the back of the garage should have
been replaced 2 or 3 years ago. The grit is over half gone and the
substrate is coming off in dime sized chunks.
That's on the south-east corner. The north side looks like it would
likely last another 5 or more years. The house is 45 years old and
this will be the 4th replacement (5th roof) That's an average ofr 10
years per roof. In my opinion, that is criminal. the last roof before
this one was IKO architectural shingles - this last one was 3 tab (as
was the original and the first replacement) Our weather can be fairly
extreme - up in the nineties F in the summer, down to below zero F in
the winter - with some pretty good wind and some ice storms - and wild
swings in temperature.

I have basically the same weather here (Northern Illinois) and as I said my 18 year old
Timberlines are holding up well. Roof is a 6/12 pitch.
They were 40-year, because I like the shading.
Heavier to haul up on the roof. The roofer made sure he mentioned that. (-:

As far as "long track records" they don't mean anything when
production changes occur without changing model names - and
CertainTeed has had a very GOOD track record except for their
ill-advised attempt to crack the low cost roof market with their
"landmark" line - right at the time everyone was turning to wood-fiber
instead of rag based shingles and the price of oil went up.The
landmark shingles, along with just about every other company's
"organic" shingles ended up being CRAP.
The switch to fiberglass in the low end shingle market hasn't helped
much.

At any rate - you didn't answer my question and didn't offer any
insite into SBS modified roofing products in general, or CT Northgate
in particular.

Of course not. Roofers can't even agree on which is "best."
BTW, I walked my roofer down the street to a house that whose shingles I liked and
told him "like that." He came very close.

As opposed to, say, you knocking on their door and asking- hey, what
kind of shingles do y'all have on your roof...and who installed them ;-)

--
Ever notice the shortage of "armed law-abiding citizen€ť victim tragedy
stories in the news?