Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davidcorlett Davidcorlett is offline

Default Vaillant VCW 242 - Can I preheat the incoming water

replying to Brian Gaff, Davidcorlett wrote:
Hi Brian,
I had looked into this option but the initial outlay was not going to justify
the expense. It would have taken several years to recoup the costs. A roof
mounted unit like those in Spain etc are really good and definitely a cheaper
option but I just want to add onto what I already know works, as the main
costs of the unit, burner, pipework, insulation, supports etc had already been
spent. I have another 20 plate heat exchanger and it would only be integrating
this new exchanger into the cold in feed. If I can get this to work, the
boiler is only then a means of heat transfer and pump. Have already got back
what I spent to put this together last year as I sold the oil burner which
came with the boiler, that paid for most of the bits and the plate heat
exchanger. Everything's sadly always on a tight, if not non existent budget

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...r-1357877-.htm