Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_3_] Fredxx[_3_] is offline

Default rewind

On 29/04/2019 10:19, Steve Walker wrote:
On 29/04/2019 05:41, wrote:
Is the OP talking about shoving the brake piston back into its
housing, as one might do when changing pads? I've always just levered
them, rather than using special tools. I wasn't aware that they should
rotate in a particular direction as they move.

Yes he is. Front brakes normally just push back in, but many rears, on
cars with all round disks, have to be rotated, because they incorporate
the handbrake and its self-adjustment mechanism. They won't go back (and
the self adjustment won't be reset) unless they are rotated.

I've always found a stout pair of pliers works well.

It depends on how often it's a process you have to do. For the average
person servicing their own car, given rear disk pads wear very little, I
would say every few years?