Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Marantz Model 19 Scope

"** Monochrome CRTs and monitors operated with HT voltages in the range of 16 to 20kV and were made with plain glass while colour CRTs operated at voltages about 5 or 6kV higher and were made with thick leaded glass at the face."

"The reason was X-ray generation."

I believe that for whatever reason they started using barium for that. That was from a CRT rebuilder. We had, after the tube days, a new rating on CRTS, bars. On the bell of the tube there were either one, two or three bars right in the glass. the three bars were the only ones we could legally use in most of the newer delta gun sets. The older ones would work but well, we use the three bar tubes when called for. When they got to inline guns, even the original GE ones, (Sony was still first) they all has three bar glass.

If I remember correctly the three bar tubes were good up to 35KV.

"However, seeing small kids sitting less than a metre from colour CRT screens always made me cringe."

Kids here more like ½ metre. I wonder what the physiological effects could have been. Well, it seems more people in my age group wear glasses but can we attribute that to that ? Not so sure.

I remember them saying that Xrays dropped due to gravity, though I kinda doubt it. Maybe as much as any photon would but there is no evidence I can't find now that it is any more than that miniscule drop. But they sold people on floor model TVs with it.

Actually thing about it is I would rather have a TV at or below eye level. In fact people have their monitors set at an upward angle which reflects more ambient light. I avoid that but have found that some edge lit LCD screens like in laptops simply are not designed for that.

Needless to say, this Xray **** is a hijack because this thing only has 500 volts. You get real Xrays out of that voltage maybe I will kiss your ass on public square and give you ½ an hour to draw a crowd. (no beans and no mooning)